In part one of this two part discussion, Amanda Powell, a seasoned flower farmer, joins Roz Chandler for an insightful conversation about her journey in the world of cut flower farming.
Amanda shares her inspiring story of transition from a corporate career in higher education to pursuing her dream of becoming a flower farmer. Her decision to venture into cut flower farming was driven by a passion for working with plants and an eagerness to create a business that aligned with her values.
key takeaways from this episode:
- Passion and Determination: Amanda's journey from a corporate career to cut flower farming is a testament to the power of following one's passion and being determined to pursue a dream.
- Embracing Change: Amanda's ability to adapt and make necessary changes in her business model, whether in flower varieties or sales channels, has been crucial to her success.
- Market Understanding: Understanding the market demands and pricing strategies is essential for a sustainable and profitable flower farming business. Amanda emphasizes the importance of doing the necessary financial calculations.
- Diverse Sales Channels: Exploring and utilizing various sales channels, including local markets, national mail orders, and collaborations with garden centres and farm shops, provides flower farmers with opportunities to reach different customer segments.
- Continuous Learning and Experimentation: Amanda's willingness to experiment, try new varieties, and push the boundaries of her flower farming practices has been key to her ongoing success.
- Customer Engagement: Engaging directly with customers, whether through markets or other sales channels, provides valuable insights and helps in building a loyal customer base.
- Adapting to Nature: Recognizing that nature is unpredictable and being prepared for challenges, such as weather conditions, pests, and other natural factors, is crucial for a flower farming business.
- Planning and Strategy: Amanda's approach of creating seasonal “recipes” and having a clear plan for each part of the season helps her optimize her production and sales.
Amanda Powell Resource Links:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/essexflowerfarm
- Website: https://www.flowerfarmer.co.uk/
- A Cut Above Waitlist: https://fieldgateflowers.kartra.com/page/ACutAboveWaitlist
- The Growth Club: https://fieldgateflowers.kartra.com/page/thegrowthclub
- Lots of free resources on our website: http://www.thecutflowercollective.co.uk
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fieldgateflowers
- Facebook Groups Cut Flower Farming – Growth and Profit in your business https://www.facebook.com/groups/449543639411874
- Learn With The Cut Flower Collective https://www.facebook.com/groups/learnwiththecutflowercollective